The 150 g-ton geotechnical centrifuge NEES facility is located in the basement of the Jonsson Engineering Center (JEC) of the RPI campus in Troy, NY. This building also contains the offices of essentially all personnel, offices of graduate students conducting centrifuge and associated analytical research, and offices available for visiting users. The layout of the facility is shown below. It is all on one level without interfering stairs. Main spaces are shown in blue, include the centrifuge itself and surrounding circular enclosure, as well as the connecting tunnel housing the variable speed motor controller and power electronics cabinets. Other main spaces of the centrifuge facility shown in blue in the image below are:
- two model preparation rooms;
- state-of-the-art control and teleparticipation room with six LCD screens and capacity for 6+ on-site operators/visitors;
- robot room;
- electronic development room;
- state-of-the-art teleconference room;
- two rooms containing respectively the data acquisition (DAQ) and LAN servers; and
- geotechnical computer laboratory.